Queen City Risk Management

(716) 970-4200 • jason@queencityrm.com

Is your home covered if there is a major flood?

While watching the news this morning I was blown away by the amount of damage the floods in South Carolina are causing. As I watched the footage showing so many underwater homes I started thinking to myself: “I wonder if anyone knows that their home insurance policy does not cover them in the event of a major flood – if something like this were to happen to them.”

Most people are very surprised by this. You may be thinking “Of course I’m covered if my home is destroyed by a flood.” Well unfortunately – unless you have a separate flood policy – you’re not covered.

Most home insurance policies do not have any coverage for damage caused by a flood. You need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy to make sure you’re covered.

Though you aren't, in most cases, required to have flood insurance but you may want to consider it.

According to the National Flood Insurance Program, moderate to low risk areas submit 20% of flood insurance claims and receive 1/3 of disaster assistance for flooding. 

If you’d like to look into a flood policy, I can help! At Queen City Risk Management, we want to make sure you’re properly covered and can help set you up with the appropriate policies to do so, including flood insurance. Connect with us today – we are here and happy to help! 

Click here to schedule a call or call us now at 716-970-4200.